New Patient Cleaning & Checkup
Our office uses advanced technology and modern techniques to ensure the highest quality dental care with minimal discomfort.
Regular cleanings are essential to both your oral and overall health! We’ll help you keep a healthy mouth and fresh breath so that you can enhance your relationships and live better.
Oral hygiene is imperative to maintaining a healthy body. Tartar and plaque build-ups can lead to tooth decay and gum disease when left unattended. Regular check ups and cleanings can prevent many future problems. Let us help you ensure your teeth and gums stay in optimal health as we strive to improve and maintain your oral hygiene.
- Regular checkups can prevent gum disease
- Clean teeth and healthy gums
- Whiter smile
- Prevent cavities
- Reduce teeth sensitivity
- Freshen breath
Exam and Hygiene
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Smythe at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, Dr. Smythe and your hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic digital x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumours, cysts, and permanent bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions. Our latest digital system takes the images with far less radiation than conventional equipment and uses no chemicals to develop them.
- Periodontal Disease (Gum disease) Evaluation: Check the periodontal structures: Gingiva (gums), Periodontal ligament (ligament attaching the ;gum to the tooth), Alveolar bone (jaw bone) and Cementum (covering of the root of the tooth. Your dental hygienist will use a periodontal measuring device called a periodontal probe. This is a painless instrument that measures how tightly attached the gum is to the tooth. The tighter the gum is the healthierit is and the shallower the space is, therefore less food, plaque and tartar can collect.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay, fractures, and any abnormalities with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of malocclusion: Check and measure how your teeth are fitting together and how well they are functioning for chewing. Also, checking for any TMJ concerns and any muscle discomfort you may be having.
Professional Dental Hygiene Visit
It is important to know that at Kits Point Dental, we dedicate and schedule an entire hour to each and every hygiene appointment. This allows your dental hygienist the necessary time to assess your gingival health, scale and polish your teeth meticulously and give any hygiene instructions or express any concerns we may have of your teeth and/or gums. This is an interactive appointment in which we use an intra-oral camera, assessment instruments like the periodontal probeand a wide spectrum of hygiene scalers (both ultrasonic and hand) to gently and thoroughly perform your necessary hygiene debridement.
Healthy gums don’t bleed!
Your hygiene appointment will include the following:
• Removal of calculus (tartar)
• Removal of plaque
• Teeth polishing
• Patient Education
• Blood Pressure and Pulse
Oral Hygiene Instruction: Once we are able to assess any gingival concerns, we can take some time and show you and demonstrate for you any oral hygiene aid that could help you at home perform and maintain your healthy mouth. We have aids to give you and samples of products to help you continue to maintain your healthy status or even better to increase the health of mouth and your systemic health needs. The Dr.’s and your Hygienist will also discuss and recommend a re care program for you depending on your needs.
“Your Gums and supporting structures are the foundation of your Smile”…it’s very important to have regular hygiene assessments prior to any cosmetic or general dentistry to ensure your investment in your smile will endure.
Typically a general cleaning will last around 60 minutes while one of our qualified hygienists gently cleans the surfaces of your teeth. The process rids your teeth of any built up tartar, plaque, and stains by using an ultrasonic water scaler and various manual scalers. The hygienist will then carefully examine your mouth for any existing or potential problems such as decay or periodontal disease.
HOW LONG WILL MY APPOINTMENT TAKE?
If you come in for regular cleanings, your appointment should last approximately 30 minutes. However, time may vary depending on your oral hygiene.
WILL IT HURT TO GET MY TEETH CLEANED?
New advances in the dental industry have allowed for a very comfortable experience during regular cleanings. However, some discomfort may be felt during cleaning near the gum line.
WHY DO I NEED TO GET MY TEETH CLEANED OFTEN?
A professional cleaning can get to places in your mouth that you can’t with a toothbrush of floss. It is important to rid your mouth of the harmful bacteria hiding below your gums.
WILL MY CLEANING BE COVERED BY MY INSURANCE?
Most of our treatments are covered by a majority of insurance companies. For a more detailed explanation of your coverage please call your service provider.